Friday, May 15, 2009

174

Rectangular Truffle Onion Burgers w/Avocado Slices

I'm trying to vary up my menu. Last night, we made some organic oven roasted asparagus. It was so simple to make and turned out really well.

Today I'm starting to add half a bar of 100% pure dark chocolate into my routine as well. It's strong tasting and not sweet at all. But I'll mostly be using it for the health effects and to keep things interesting - not for the taste. Since I often do shakes in the morning, this will also give me something to chew on. The fact that it's high in fat and fiber (as well as antioxidants and vital nutrients) is an added bonus.

10:00 am

+ a cup of organic coffee with a packet of organic stevia/inulin

11:00 am

+ Wowee Zowee Protein Shake version 3.0 - 3 scoops of True Whey (natural vanilla whey protein), 1 scoop of Amazing Grass Chocolate Greens, 4 oz of purified water, 1 packet of organic stevia/inulin, 1 tbsp of organic sprouted flax seeds and 1/4 tsp of Also Salt

+ 1/2 bar of unsweetened, organic 100% chocolate bar

+ 1 tbsp of organic coconut oil

2:00 pm

+ several slices of natural Genoa salami

+ a small farmer's market tomato, topped with soft goat cheese

4:30 pm

+ a cup of organic coffee (no sweetener - as part of the Luo Han Guo experiment)

6:45 pm (pictured above)

+ 2 organic beef burgers topped with grilled onions, truffle butter and organic cheddar cheese

+ 3/4 of an organic avocado

10:30 pm

+ a strong cup of white tea (3 tea bags)


More to come ... I hope!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I noticed you stopped using foreign languages in your blog titles. Porque? :P

Harry/JP said...

I've been conserving energy! ;-)

I felt like cleaning lean and mean for awhile. Simple and to the point.

Every now and then, you got to mix it up!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, I thought the languages was an error with my RSS reader.

Hey, that dark chocolate is really nice when you break it into squares in a little tiny bowl with a few almonds thrown in too. Kind of makes the bitterness a bit more appealing. I have this with my smoothie in the mornings.

Great blog Harry, I'm borrowing alot of food ideas...I mean, learning alot :)

Kate.

Harry/JP said...

Thanks, Kate! :-)

I'm happy that you're getting some out of this blog. Borrow away!

I like your chocolate almond idea. In the past, I've experimented making my own LC candy bars/chocolate "bark". Maybe it's time to start that back up. :-)

If you get this message ... can you tell us what your morning smoothie is like? I'm always interested in learning new recipes and I think some of the folks that visit here might be curious too.

Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Harry,

Here are my favourite smoothies ... still fairly low in carbs if you do the second fermentation of the kefir which eats up most of the lactose. I use kefir and egg yolks alot, as they are so nourishing and superfoods in their own right.

COCONUT BERRY SMOOTHIE (My favourite)
1/2 -1 cup raw milk yogurt or kefir
1/4 cup rasberries (frozen = thicker smoothie)
2 freerange, organic egg yolks (or scoop PP)
1/4 cup organic dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
stevia, pinch (optional)
salt, 1/4t (optional)

LUSH BERRY SMOOTHIE
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup water
Scoop of PP
stevia, pinch (optional)
1-2 tbs LSA, ground Flaxseed or Chia Seeds


TIGERS SMOOTHIE (Old Naturopathic Tonic)
1/2-1 cup raw milk kefir
2-3 tbs blueberries
2 freerange, organic egg yolks (or scoop PP)
1 tbs coconut oil, melted
stevia, pinch (optional)

Blend berries & kefir.
Add yolks & coconut oil, blend only until combined.

*You can put kefir, berries & coconut oil in
glass jug/blender before bed and it's ready for the
morning (saves time).
*Or if making in the morning, you can stand jar of
coconut oil in sink/hot water for 5 minutes while
you get the rest ready, for an easy way to melt the
oil.

FRAPPUCCINO (Just for fun)
2 cups ice
Vanilla essence & sweetener to taste
1/4 cup chilled espresso coffee or raw cocoa
2 scoops Protein Powder
1/4 cup raw cream

Place ice in blender & crush well.
Add essence, sweetener & coffee or cocoa.
Blend until smooth, then add cream.
Blend until just incorporated.
Drink through straw & big goofy smile :)

Would love to see your chocolate bark recipe, I could never find a decent recipe for that one :)

Kate.

Harry/JP said...

Thank you, Kate! What an incredible response! :-)

Your smoothies look both tasty and very nutrient-dense, a winning combination to be sure.

I never noted the exact composition of the chocolate bark. I just did it be "eye".

First, I'd mix 100% pure organic cocoa powder in a pot (maybe 3-4 oz of so) with organic coconut oil (3-4 tbsp, if I remember correctly). That would be mixed to a smooth consistency and then I'd include some pure organic stevia powder, organic vanilla extract, a little sea salt and sometimes some organic nuts (like pecans or almonds) and/or organic heavy cream or coconut milk (to mellow out the taste and to make it more like "milk chocolate").

I'd pour the mixture into a glass baking dish and refrigerate it. It doesn't take long to harden (due to the high percentage of saturated fat).

This link may also be of interest:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/483036-chocolate-bark-coconut-oil.html

Thanks again for sharing your recipes. Do you have a menu blog as well? If so, I'd love to "follow" it.

Take care!