Monday, January 5, 2009

Jour Quarante-Cinq

Spicy Catfish with Homemade Mashed Cauliflower

It's one week and counting until my interview with the Mr. Jimmy Moore! I've been listening to LLVLC podcasts and thinking about what I might have to say when I get the big call!

Tomorrow night, my wife will take a digital photo of me that will be uploaded whenever Jimmy decides to post our interview. That will be a first for me. I've always been one to prefer the cover of anonymity. Perhaps after seeing the picture, you'll understand why! ;-)

I have a question for anyone who may be reading my menu blog:

Is there anything about me, this blog or my journey that you'd like to know more about? I plan on discussing some of my past (relating to my diet and weight issues), my present career (in the entertainment industry and as a natural health writer) and I have a few surprises that I don't want to spoil just yet.

Any comments, insults, thoughts or thrown shoes are most welcome. :-)


Monday - January 5, 2009

10:00 am

+ a cup of "choco-coffee" - (two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder, one teaspoon of instant coffee, one packet of stevia + FOS, one packet of Also Salt and hot water)

12:30 pm

+ a vanilla whey protein shake - (2 scoops of natural vanilla whey protein powder, 4 oz of half-and-half, 2 packets of Also Salt, 1 packet of stevia + FOS)


3:00 pm

+ one avocado sliced

+ a few ounces of Manchego (sheep's milk) cheese

+ thick-sliced, natural salami

+ a glass of red wine


4:30 pm

+ a cup of "choco-coffee" - (two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder, one teaspoon of instant coffee, one packet of stevia + FOS, one packet of Also Salt and hot water)

7:15 pm (pictured above)

+ a fillet of spicy catfish

+ approx. 1/2 cup of homemade mashed cauliflower


10:10 pm

+ a cup of mixed tea - (two bags of organic white tea and one bag of an organic spicy ginger blend)


More to come ... I hope!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Harry - talk to me about your shake. I just bought some whey protein powder today - vanilla - and I need ideas on using it.

Here's a couple of my questions.....what is the FOS? And, the salt packets? Do you blend this with one of those stick mixers or a blender? Do you add ice? Do you use the shakes as a meal replacement or just as supplementation or post exercise?

Basically, just picking your brain as to your theory and how it works for you!

Harry/JP said...

Howdy, Sybil.

I like to keep it simple. I use a small (plastic) shaker cup to make the shake. I got it at a local health food store. I don't add ice or use a blender or mixer.

FOS stands for frucooligosaccahrides. Try saying that 10 times fast! It's a fiber extract derived from inulin. It acts as a "prebiotic" - which promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in your digestive system. It's also mildly sweet. So, it complements the stevia nicely. I use a stevia product that uses inulin/FOS in the base.

I use the Also Salt packets for two reasons: to make the flavor more pleasant and to add some additional potassium to my diet.

I mostly use the shakes as meal replacements - if I'm on the run. They're easy to make. Easy to digest. And they make for an easy clean-up.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

PS - The whey powder I'm using is basically unsweetened. That's why I add some additional stevia.

Me said...

Ooooo good question, sybil!

And thanks for the answers Harry :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Harry. Good idea on using the plastic shaker too - I was going to buy one of those stick blenders today but I think I'll try the less expensive option of a shaker first - just incase I can't get into the shakes.

Looking forward to the podcast with JM!

Harry/JP said...

I'm happy to answer any questions, Erika. Friends helping friends, right? :)

Good day, Sybil.

Don't get me wrong, I love my immersion/stick blender. It works so well for making soup and mashed cauliflower, etc.

But, the little shaker cup is just so easy to use and clean. And, it helps you get a little bit of a workout while preparing your meal! It's my aerobic shake-making routine ;-)

And thanks! I'm (nervously) looking forward to it too.

Me said...

I was just going to say that too, Harry, the shaker is MUCH easier to clean! I hate having to get into the nooks and crannies of things with little blades.

Also you can keep any chunks you might want with a shaker - like berries etc. Yum!

e

Harry/JP said...

Howdy, Erika.

I love shaker cups! Sybil's idea of using a martini shakes made me smile ... ingenious!

Do you have an immersion/stick blender? They're awesome for those times when you absolutely, positively need some blending work done. The clean-up, with an immersion blender, is a snap.

Hope you have a great day!