Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dia Quarenta e Sete

Bacon, Grilled Onion and Provolone Burgers w/Avocado and Sliced Tomato


It's mid-week now and I'm feeling more settled in my new reality. Today, I have a few LC related goals to accomplish.

1. exercise
2. meditate (twice-daily, for ten minutes a pop)
3. go shopping at Whole Foods

The exercise and shopping parts are pretty self-explanatory. The meditation I'll cover more in Jimmy's interview on Monday. Hopefully by then I'll have some personal observations to share.

I'm inspired by the experimentation that so many of you regularly embark on. Erika and Lynn are trying out different fasting approaches. Sybil has been trying out a bunch of mind-body techniques. Pooti is given the "zero-carb" diet a shot. Sadekat's been regularly sticking to the coconut oil. Vadim gave the "shake and nuts" challenge a good run for it's money.

Now it's my turn. And I think the things I need most can be a addressed through more exercise and a consistent practice for my (nutty) mind. I'll keep you all posted on what I learn in the process.

I hope you all have a strong day, in every possible way.


Wednesday - January 7, 2008

10:30 am

+ a cup of instant coffee, a packet of stevia + FOS and a splash of low-fat milk

11:45 am

+ a vanilla whey protein shake - (2 scoops of natural vanilla whey protein powder, 4 oz of half-and-half, 2 packets of Also Salt, 1 packet of stevia + FOS)

3:00 pm

+ 2 small Roma tomatoes (sliced), topped with sour cream and aged goat cheese

+ 3 thin slices of prosciutto

+ a glass of red wine

5:00 pm

+ a cup of instant coffee, a packet of stevia + FOS and a splash of low-fat milk

7:00 pm (pictured above)

+ two hamburger patties, topped with: grilled onions, 2 slices of natural bacon and 2 slices of provolone cheese (1 slice of each, per burger)

+ 1/2 of a small Roma tomato

+ 3/4 of an avocado


9:45 pm

+ a cup of mixed tea - (two bags of organic white tea and one bag of an organic spicy ginger blend)


More to come ... I hope!

8 comments:

~Oct said...

I'm looking forward to reading/viewing your meditation observations.

Harry/JP said...

Thanks, October. I'm hoping it will work out well. It's a long-term proposition though. Results often take time to manifest.

Even if it turns out not to be right for me, that'll still be a learning experience. So, with the right perspective ... it's a no-lose kind o' deal. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Harry,
I've been amazed at how much better I feel with adding meditation and EFT to my routine. Each afternoon I carve out a little 'me' time and I feel such peace and tranquility.

I also have to wonder if it's helping with my blood pressure. I'm actually experimenting with decreasing the dose on one of them. Time will tell!

I do think there is a HUGE mind/body connection that we need to address in order to have long term success with fat removal. So many want to believe it's just a DIET - that it's all about what you eat - but I know for me and my monkey mind, I need to address physical and mental/emotional.

Like I said before, can't wait for your podcast!

Harry/JP said...

Thanks, Sybil.

I really admire your commitment to mind/body exercises.

I did my first meditation earlier today and plan to do another in a few hours. I'm just sticking with 10 minutes at a time/twice-per-day. That's in accordance with a recent study I read.

I'm familiar with EFT but haven't really given it too much of a chance yet. Maybe that'll be part of my evolution. :)

Thanks for your support and for your wonderful blog.

Me said...

Sorry for the confusion, Harry, you were an exception to my question. And it was really a question, not an accusation, text can make things sound more blunt than they are intended sometimes. :)

Harry/JP said...

No worries, Erika. :)

I just wanted to make sure that you knew that I was supportive of your fast.

I don't recall who said this, but I agree with it:

"It's your body and your science experiment."

I think it's good for us to try different strategies to enhance our health - be it our physical, psychological and/or spiritual health.

We're all doing that to some extent. And, I'm glad for it.

Me said...

Hi Harry,

Really really hanging out to hear all about your meditation stuff during the podcast. Looks like there's a bunch of us doing that too hehehe.

Sybil and I have spoken and shared a few names on this topic too. I started a few months ago with a group and as it's still suspended for this time of year, a few of us from the class are hoping to get together to do some on Sunday.

But I'm only once or twice a week myself, twice a day is pure dedication! :)

e

Harry/JP said...

Good day, Erika.

I'm all about making things practical and convenient - wherever possible.

I have so many details in my daily routine that adding lengthy meditations to it seemed implausible and daunting.

But, some recent research indicates that (some of) the benefits of meditation could be attained with as little as 10 minutes, twice-a-day. That much, I think I can do on a pretty regular basis.

We shall see. :)