Thursday, February 12, 2009

83rd день

Liquid Dinner

I'm going to try to summarize this past week's medical blunder in as concise a way as possible.

Several days ago, I noticed something wrong with my mouth. Have you ever had a "white coating" on your tongue? Well, I had some white areas in the inner cheeks of my mouth.

So, like any 21st century lunatic, I did some digging on the Internet. Aha! This must be a mild case of thrush! Or maybe some other kind of fungal infection that I hear so much about on the 'net. Never mind that I don't fall into any of the "high risk" groups that generally get thrush - newborn babies, people undergoing chemo or using steroid drugs, etc.

But those warning signs didn't stop my quest to heal myself. I proceeded, on the assumption that I did have thrush. I read up about "natural" ways to treat it. They seemed awfully safe. Heck, some of the information was meant to be applied to babies! How much safer did I want it to be?

To make a longer story shorter, I started rinsing with grapefruit seed extract (a natural anti-fungal/anti-microbial) & water, sea salt & water and even a little baking soda & water. The trouble is ... the problem kept getting worse!

Not only did the situation look worse, it felt worse. I went from no pain at all, to discomfort, to a level of pain that was severe enough to make me not feel like eating. It even hurt to rest my head against the pillow at night.

So I finally broke down and went to go see my dentist. What did she find? A particularly virulent form of thrush? Some other bizarre fungal infection rarely seen outside of the jungles of Borneo? Nope. I had chemical burns ... from the grapefruit seed extract and the sea salt rinses!

The prescription: change toothpaste, rinse only with a water-hydrogen peroxide mixture and stop using the other stuff that was burning my mouth!

My dentist believes I may have been had an allergic reaction to my (natural) toothpaste. That's likely what cause the mild irritation (the white patches in my mouth). Go figure ...


9:30 am


+ a coffee protein shake - 3 oz of organic heavy cream, 2 oz of purified water, 2 scoops of natural vanilla whey protein powder, 1 heaping tsp of instant coffee, 1/4 teaspoon of pure stevia powder and 1/4 teaspoon of Also Salt

2:00 pm

+ a coffee protein shake - 4 oz of organic heavy cream, 2 oz of purified water, 2 scoops of natural vanilla whey protein powder, 1 heaping tsp of instant coffee, 1/4 teaspoon of pure stevia powder and 1/4 teaspoon of Also Salt

5:00 pm

+ a cup of instant coffee with a few ounces of low-fat milk and a pinch of pure stevia

7:45 pm (pictured above)

+ "pumpkin pie" shake - (3 home-pasteurized organic omega-3 eggs, 4 oz of organic canned pumpkin, 2 oz of organic sour cream, 1/4 tsp of organic pumpkin spice blend, 3 packets of Organic Stevia + FOS and 1/2 teaspoon of Also Salt)

Note: I'm a little out of it. I forgot to add the protein powder tonight! Still, I'm sure I scored at least 20 grams of protein (with the eggs, etc.) in this little ditty.


More to come ... I hope.

4 comments:

NewVision said...

Glad you got it taken care of. Hope you eventually felt like eating something.

Harry/JP said...

Thank you, Jo.

I'm just going to drink my nutrition today. Allow my mouth to heal and rest a bit.

Tomorrow's another day. :)

4athomej said...

OUCH...and that's all I have to say about that...

Harry/JP said...

Ouch is right! Luckily, I'm a quick healer. :)