Wednesday, November 26, 2008

日5

The day before Thanksgiving. And, I've got a lot to be thankful for. More than I deserve, that's for sure.

I'm working from home again today. But, I did manage to get up earlier than usual. I think this is a change for the better. Though I go kicking and screaming from the land of the Night Owl.

I didn't remember to weigh myself this morning. I was planning on starting a weekly weigh-in today. But, that ship has sailed. Tomorrow morning it shall be.

I often still feel hungry. I've obviously not yet found the correct hunger-balance. I think it's worse when I'm working at home. Don't get me wrong, I love to work at home. But, it probably allows for more time for my mind to wander. And, where else would a recovering fat-man's mind wander? Just like an alcoholic might crave a drink when he's not thirsty.

I think I'll add a new feature to my daily blog. At the end of the day, I'll conclude with a short entry that is confessional in nature. Something brief that gives a glimpse into my mindset and into how I'm feeling about this weight-loss journey and life in general.

Perhaps really throwing myself into this challenge will help me to not abandon it so easily? Time will tell. It almost always does.

Wednesday - November 26, 2008

10:00 am

+ one cup of "choco-coffee" (two tablespoons of pure cocoa, one teaspoon of instant coffee, hot water, a splash of half-and-half and stevia to taste)

12:00 pm

+ 4 natural breakfast sausage (total of around 20 grams of protein and 16 grams of fat - only trace amounts of carbs)

2:30 pm

+ two barbequed ribs

+ approx. half-cup of mashed cauliflower

+ a glass of red wine

5:15 pm

+ one cup of "choco-coffee" (two tablespoons of pure cocoa, one teaspoon of instant coffee, hot water and stevia to taste) No half-and-half this time.

+ psyllium fiber (as part of my periodic "intestinal fiber-workout")

7:00 pm

+ a vanilla whey protein shake (4oz of half-and-half & two scoops of natural vanilla whey protein powder)

9:15 pm

+ two herbed chicken thighs w/skin

+ half a cup of mashed cauliflower

+ chicken "drippings" (the liquid/broth that's left after I roasted the chicken - comprised of chicken fat, olive oil, garlic and herbs and spices ... from the homemade marinade)



More to come ... I hope!

9 comments:

Vadim said...

Harry, what city are you from? How tall are you and how long have you been on low carb lifestyle?

NewVision said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NewVision said...

Hey Harry,
I posted once and it didn't show up so I hope this doesn't go through twice. Sorry if it does LOL I'm new at this.
I had to come by and see how you added in Cocoa. What benefits does it give you? It sounds good, except the instant coffee thing I have to have brewed. :)
After reading your having hunger issues, have you ever tried CO? Read up on it, it could help with that.
Have a GREAT Thanksgiving!!!!

Harry/JP said...

Thanks for stopping by Vadim and New Vision. Nice to see your comments/questions.

Vadim - I live in Southern California. Not far from LaLa Land (Los Angeles).

I'm 5'11.

I tried, pretty successfully, to adopt a low carb program last year.

It's a long story but I got sick after taking a vacation and fell off the wagon. And, it took me awhile after that get back on the right track.

New Vision - One of my hobbies is doing medical research. Over the past several years, there's been a lot of promising research that indicates that pure cocoa may help with everything from high blood pressure, to poor circulation and it may possibly even help protect against certain cancers.

I think I detect a bit of a mood-elevating effect from the cocoa. I've struggled with depression for most of my life, to varying degrees. And, I think that plays a role in my poor eating habits.

So, I thought I'd try adding the cocoa to see if it could give me a bit of a natural antidepressant effect, without the side-effects of a pharmaceutical drug.

I do have some coconut oil. How do you suggest I try taking it?

Vadim said...

Harry I hope you dont mind me asking all these personal questions, but if you do, please tell me. I am a very open minde perosn and an extrovert, so everything goes for me. There is very little I feel shy discussing. I just feel I got to know you a bit over this past week, you are by far the most involved commenter in here. You are very detailed and descriptive, which is excellent. Your inputs are boht informative and thoughtful. I really appreciate them. How did you come to realization that low carb was a way to go? Who in particulare influenced you, if any? I dont know but I remember you were in mid 30 s right? What do you do, because you say you work home and office? Thanks, will look forward to your comments. Happy Thanksgiving!

Me said...

Hi Harry,

Your menu is looking good :)

I can't help with the hunger factor though - usually I would try to add butter. It's carb-free and goes with pretty much everything. What do you think?

Harry/JP said...

Good day, Vadim.

Thank you for your kind and supportive comments.

I don't mind your questions. If, for some reason, I feel uncomfortable answering one/some of them ... I'll just let you know.

Why did I begin on the low-carb path? I initially decided to try low-carbing for two reasons.

1. I found that I felt best, hunger-wise and in general, after eating a simple low-carb meal.

An example of a meal that affects me well would be a nicely marbled rib-eye steak and a side of a non-starchy vegetable (like broccoli or asparagus).

My digestive system seems to prefer simple combinations of foods.

2. I also knew that when I overate, I would often focus on carb-rich foods. Some people gravitate towards fatty, salty foods. And, some people (like me) tend to reach for sweets.

I was also aware that hunger was a major stumbling block in my efforts to try and reach a healthier weight. And, I observed that after eating a healthy low-carb meal ... I generally felt healthfully satiated.

Who influenced me? Well, I'd known about Dr. Atkins for a long time. But, I think Dr. Michael Eades and Jimmy Moore have played a bigger role in my recent conversion.

Age-wise - I am in my mid-30's. At least chronologically!

Work-wise - I currently work in the entertainment industry. I'm a writer, while at home, and I work in casting/editing while in the office.

I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving as well, Vadim!

I'm going to do my best to really appreciate all that I've been blessed with today. I hope you can do the same!

Type to you later!

Harry/JP said...

Good day, Erika.

I think your suggestion is a good one. Adding some additional fat to the mix.

Last night, I added some extra fat to my late-dinner and I was much less hungry.

I have to admit that it seemed to make my stomach work extra hard, to digest it, but at least I wasn't nearly as hungry and tempted to overeat.

I did get a bit hungry just prior to bed. But, I decided not to have anything until my morning coffee.

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Vadim said...

Harry, it is scary, but you took exactly my bio and made it yours or just the other way around. I am 36, 5'10 and weight around 225-230 dont know now. And I , too, like you were influenced and convinced by Dr Eades and Jimmy website to convert. I too used to and at times do medicate myself with higher carb, high sugar food. Or anything sweet for that matter. When I left russian, a bake shop was ready to close, because I was giving them 90 % profit. But I am happy I found this website and people like you. These are not just words, they trully are form the heart. I want to wish you Healthy and Happy Holiday season and all those that are dear to you! Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your dinner!